The Hotel Colonial San Agustin is part of the downtown historic Quito, considered World Site Heritage by Unesco.
In 1934, the Espinosa family bought the property, located across from the Convent of St. Augustine, and only two blocks away from the Independence Square and Presidential Palace, the San Agustin House served as a Home Guest of important figures and international visitors of the time.
The house initially belonged to the Colonel Eleodoro Saenz Ribadeneira who inherited the property from his great Aunt, Manuela Saenz, Ecuadorian noblewoman who was the confidante of Simon Bolivar "El Libertador"
In 1979, the youngest daughter of Espinosa Family and her husband inherited the house and named it after the Church of St. Augustine, one of the seven monumental churches in historic downtown Quito.
In 2017, the management of the hotel was transferred to the family's third generation. The House was fully renovated keeping the colonial architecture intact and updating the rooms to provide facilities with modern comfort.
With the goal in mind of preserving the history of the hotel, the new management has embarked on the mission of promoting and recovering the downtown colonial area, and the culture and diversity of the local community, as such, all products are sourced from small local businesses, the furniture was hand made by local artisans, the handcrafted products exhibited at the hotel are hand made by members of the staff.